Why Use Retaining Walls?
Retaining walls provide both function and form. They can be eye-catching or rustic, sophisticated or quaint, or just about any other adjective you can think of, while performing an important and useful function. They are the perfect solution for property with hillsides and slopes, ensuring that soil stays where you want it, and eliminating safety and flooding risks. And, perhaps the best thing about retaining walls is that they provide you with boundless possibilities when it comes to enhancing the appearance of your home.
Retaining Walls are Functional
Retaining walls are perfect for landscapes that need a level area. With the walls, you are able to create flat areas where children can play, plants or flowers can be planted, or even patios or entertaining areas can be placed. It’s a great way to add usable space to what was previously a sloping and uneven area.
In addition to leveling areas of your land, retaining walls can also be installed to terrace slopes. These terraced areas work great for adding gardens or flower beds to enhance the beauty of your yard. Retaining walls can also help you with your yardwork. If you have a steep sloping area, it can be hard to maintain it, especially when you need to mow grass on the slope. That can be difficult and dangerous. Adding retaining walls create flat areas that are more easily and safely navigated with a lawn mower.
If sloping land is part of the features of your home’s landscape, you may have considered having the whole area leveled providing you with a flat landscape. While this is always an option, it can be much more time-consuming and expensive than having a professional landscape contractor add retaining walls to the sloping yard – and it creates a unique, functional, and aesthetic feature to the yard.
Other Reasons to Use Retaining Walls
Besides the functional benefits of retaining walls, you can expect to enjoy the following when you have them installed in your yard:
- Versatility – The walls you choose to have installed can be constructed in numerous shapes, colors, and textures, in which your designer can add your own personal touches to make them even more unique.
- Increase in the value of your home – Retaining walls have the potential to add to the value of your home because they are functional and attractive.
- Easy maintenance – Retaining walls don’t require a lot of upkeep when they are installed properly. They are durable, and they age well over time.
What to Consider Before Having Retaining Walls Installed
Before you have retaining walls installed, there are some things to consider about the project. The following are some of the major considerations.
- Selecting materials – Retaining walls can be built with many different types of materials including bricks, wood, and stones. Consider which you would like and how your choice will work with the style of your home and landscape. Stone retaining walls have become quite popular because there are so many possibilities as to the design and look of these types of walls.
- Choosing a design – While there may be some technical aspects that are required within the design to make retaining walls functional, there is a lot of room to make the design distinctive and eye-catching. You aren’t limited to having straight retaining walls that only serve a purpose and don’t create an attractive visual.
- Working with professionals – Many homeowners who try to install retaining walls themselves quickly find out that doing so requires more work and expertise than they expected. The structure has to be able to support the soil behind it and handle the pressure of flowing water that can saturate the area and cause damage to the wall and its foundation. The best option is hiring a professional landscaping contractor who has the knowledge and experience to complete the project right the first time.
Using Natural Stone for Retaining Walls
Retaining walls built with natural stone add a sense of nature to your property. They are earthy and can be designed any way you choose, whether rustic or elegant, textured or smooth. Additionally, they are perhaps the most functional of the different options available for materials. Stones don’t erode or break, and they rarely require replacement or repair, making them the perfect material for retaining walls that may take a beating from adverse weather, children playing on them, or outdoor activity around them.
Consider complementing your home and yard with natural stone retaining walls. Ambrose Landscapes can help you with the design and installation of stone retaining walls that have both the form and function you are looking for.