Retaining walls are a popular backyard installation that Ambrose Landscapes specializes in. For homeowners who wish to add a retaining wall to their property, there are many things to keep in mind and many design choices to consider. When done correctly, hardscape retaining wall designs can provide structural support and a sense of beauty to any outdoor area.
What is a Retaining Wall?
Retaining walls are a popular outdoor feature among homeowners with uneven or sloped yards. These walls are designed to ‘retain’ soil at different levels, preventing erosion and soil loss within the yard. Retaining walls can be made out of many different materials, with natural stone being a popular choice.
Why Choose Natural Stone?
There are many different reasons that natural stone is the optimal building material for a hardscaping retaining wall design. Natural stone is able to provide more than optimal structural support while also providing an aesthetic quality that other materials cannot match.
- Durable: Natural stone is incredibly durable, requiring few repairs over time. This helps homeowners save money on their retaining walls in the long run.
- Eco-Friendly: An eco-friendly choice for homeowners, natural stone is a readily available and recyclable material, able to be utilized in other projects and features within the outdoor area.
- Unique: All natural stone projects are unique, as each and every stone is different. This means every natural stone feature is one-of-a-kind.
- Low-Maintenance: Natural stone is easily able to hold up to a variety of different weather conditions and rarely needs cleaning. After inclement weather, typical natural stone maintenance includes spraying debris off of the stone with a hose.
- Versatile: Natural stone is an incredibly versatile material. It can be used for many projects, allowing homeowners to install several different features that match one another in their outdoor area.
- Aesthetic: Intrinsic, natural beauty is another of the host of benefits provided by natural stonework. Natural stone features are guaranteed to draw the eye of guests and passersby.
Natural Stone Design Ideas
There are a few different things to think about when considering the design of your retaining wall. Natural stone can be customized in a variety of ways, including the size, shape, color, and pattern of the stones used.
- Size: Stone size can influence the look of your wall, with smaller stones looking vastly different from stones of larger size. Additionally, alternating stone size is an option for retaining walls.
- Shape: Stone shape can also affect the appearance of your retaining wall, with angular stones giving off a more geometric look, while rounder natural stone softens the look of the wall.
- Color: Natural stone is available in many different colors, including gray, tan, beige, and cream colors, as well as darker brown, blue, and black tinted stone.
- Pattern: The pattern of your stone wall is one way you can get creative and make sure their stone design stands out from others.
Retaining Wall Designs
There are truly an unlimited number of design possibilities when it comes to retaining walls, which makes choosing the right company for your project important. The look of your retaining wall can greatly affect the look of your home and, when done correctly, can even add value to your house.
- Rustic: Rustic retaining walls may be ideal for those living in the country or looking for a simplistic design utilizing natural stone.
- Curved: Curved retaining walls are a great way to instill a sense of movement in an outdoor area.
- Modern: Modern retaining walls look sleek and professional when done correctly, giving your yard a feeling of cleanliness and beauty.
- Contemporary: Contemporary design involves clean lines and natural accents utilizing natural stone within a retaining wall.
- Flower Beds: Adding flower beds around your retaining wall is a great option for keeping your yard looking naturally picturesque.
- Incorporate Steps/Walkways: If moving through your uneven or sloped yard is important, consider incorporating steps or walkways into your retaining wall, which helps make movement over uneven ground easier.
What Makes Ambrose the Best?
Ambrose Landscapes is proud to employ only the best technicians with decades of experience. These contractors work closely with customers to make their hardscaping designs come true while keeping them safe and cost-effective. Call Ambrose today for a consultation to get your retaining wall project underway.