Most homeowners want a gathering spot for their friends and family to spend time together outdoors. While pools and other outdoor features have the potential to host a gathering, nothing quite beats the simplicity and comfort of a patio. When deciding on the right outdoor living space patio design for your home, there are a number of aspects to consider, including the building material you wish to use, as well as the color and pattern of your design.
Common Patio Materials
There are many different options when it comes to choosing a building material for your patio. Homeowners should consider materials carefully in order to pick the one that works best for them.
- Gravel – Gravel is one option when it comes to creating a patio surface. While gravel can provide an even surface for a patio, it can be inconvenient to walk on and may shift over time.
- Concrete – Concrete slab patios are another potential choice for homeowners. However, customers in Asheville should be aware that concrete is sensitive to freezing and thawing temperatures and may potentially crack as a result of cold weather, requiring repair over time.
- Sand – Sand patios are an option for those who want their patio to look more like a day at the beach. Sand patios are prone to shifting, as the wind can easily carry sand grains to other locations within the yard.
- Brick – Brick patios are able to be designed in a number of different geometric patterns but can be expensive and hard to finish.
- Natural Stone – One of the best options for creating a beautiful and practical patio is natural stone. This material provides a unique appearance and is customizable for homeowners who wish to have a one-of-a-kind look for their patio. In fact, there is a multitude of reasons why using natural stone for your patio is the right choice.
Why Choose Natural Stone?
Natural stone has a whole host of benefits for homeowners who want to have a beautiful and long-lasting patio.
- Sustainable: Natural stone is a readily available building material. While repairs to natural stone patios are rarely necessary, any repairs or additions to your patio are made considerably more simple due to the ease of obtaining more building material that matches your patio.
- Durable: Natural stone is a hardy material and can stand up to weather and consistent use over time without requiring repairs. This makes it an ideal material for use in Asheville, where temperatures vary greatly throughout the seasons.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike other building materials, natural stone requires very little maintenance, typically only needing to be hosed off with water after inclement weather.
- Customizable: Natural stone is one-of-a-kind and easy to customize to your liking, available in many different shapes, sizes, and colors.
Natural Stone Patterns and Colors
Using natural stone for patios is a popular choice among homeowners. Once you’ve chosen your building materials, there are still other aspects of your patio design to consider, like the size, shape, color, and pattern of your natural stone patio.
- Size: Stones of consistent size have a clean and organized appearance. You may also choose to mix stone sizes, opting for a more natural look.
- Shape: Stones may be more angular in appearance or rounded for a softer-looking patio.
- Color: Natural stone is available in an array of colors that can improve the look of any home’s outdoor living space patio.
- Pattern: Natural stone patterns can easily be created utilizing stones of different sizes, shapes, and colors.
The possibilities when using natural stone for your patio are truly endless.
Why Choose Ambrose Landscapes?
At Ambrose Landscapes, our technicians have decades of experience working closely with clients to achieve their design goals with natural stone. Certified contractors keep the client’s safety and happiness in mind when creating designs for custom natural stone patios and work closely with customers from concept to installation. Call Ambrose today for a consultation and make your patio dreams a reality.