Stone Walls in Asheville
The stonework experts at Ambrose Landscapes combine function with appearance to create beautiful and useful stone walls for homeowners in Asheville and around Western North Carolina. By using various types of all-natural stone, Ambrose demonstrates their commitment to both their clients needs and to maintaining an eco-friendly approach to landscaping. If you are looking to add a wall to your property, whether it’s to be used as a retaining wall, for privacy, or any other reason, look no further. Ambrose Landscapes has the now-how to design and install the eye-catching wall that you’ve imagined.
What Are Some Common Types and Styles of Stone Walls in Asheville?
Generally speaking, there are two types of walls that can be installed two different ways. The types are freestanding ad retaining. Both of the types can be built “wet” or “dry.” To be installed “wet” means that concrete is used to secure the stones, while a “dry” wall is one that is built without concrete instead relying on gravity and friction to stabilize and hold the stones in place.
A retaining wall is structure that helps hold soil in place. Its primary purpose is to prevent soil erosion and flooding. Typically, retaining walls are gravity walls that are built to lean slightly into the soil, keeping it in place with the mass of the stones. Freestanding walls stand on their own and are not used to keep soil from moving.
The style that you choose for your natural stone wall depends on whether you are looking for a retaining wall or a freestanding wall and what you want it to look like. Because you can get natural stone in different shapes, sizes, textures, and colors, you have a lot of options to consider. If you are looking for a rustic wall you may choose rough or weathered stones, while larger block-type stones will give your wall an imposing look. Smaller, smoother stones will provide a homier feel. Work with your contractor to go over your options so you can make the best choices for your stone wall.
What Are Common Uses for Stone Walls?
While retaining walls can keep soil from eroding, change the flow of water, and prevent flooding on your property, and freestanding walls can protect your privacy, those are not the only uses that stone walls have. They are able to do much more for your yard or property.
- Increase plant choices – Retaining walls are great for flowers, herbs, and other types of plants, and you aren’t relegated to have plants that only thrive under certain conditions. For example, walls can be designed to help sun-loving plants flourish when they are placed higher, while those plants that require shade can be planted in the soil at the bottom of the wall where the wall itself will provide protection from the sun.
- Provide defined areas – Stone walls define the areas of your yard or land. You can easily keep your patio entertaining space separate from your garden and give the space shape and balance.
- Help with irrigation – One of the most functional aspects of a retaining wall is its ability to trap and direct (or redirect) water. This reduces soil erosion and allows you to divert rainwater to the areas you want it to go – those with vegetation.
- Provide beautiful scenery – Stone walls are beautiful and natural looking. There are no two that are the same or that can be duplicated. They provide an aesthetically pleasing contrast to greenery and have the ability to make you and your guests feel like you are one with nature.
What Are the Benefits of Stone Walls?
Besides being beautiful, natural stone walls (especially retaining walls) have a number of benefits that you may not be aware of, including:
- Structural support – If you live on land that has small hills or sloping areas, retaining walls can provide stability to the structural integrity of the land. You won’t have to worry about landslides, soil erosion, or a constantly shifting yard.
- Little Maintenance – Natural stone walls, retaining and freestanding are very low-maintenance, often requiring nothing more than rinsing off dirt or debris following adverse weather.
- Eco-friendly – You can feel good about using natural stone for the walls you need – it’s attractive and environmentally friendly.
- Durability – Natural stonework ages beautifully and doesn’t require paint or sealing.
- Adding usable space – Again, if you live in an area with sloping ground or hills, retaining walls can help you turn some of that space into usable areas. Retaining walls can be installed in a sequence that allows terraces that can be used for gardens or other plants and flowers.
Why Use a Professional Landscaping Contractor for your Stone Wall in Asheville?
When it comes to landscaping, especially with natural stone, it’s always a good idea to use a professional with credentials. Not only does it ensure that the company has the knowledge and experience to do the project well and the way you want it, but it also protects you should any issues arise. At Ambrose Landscapes, we have 25 years of experience building stone walls in Asheville and many other types of stonework, and we possess the important credentials to prove it.