Stone Driveways in Asheville, North Carolina
An unforgettable home should start with an unforgettable driveway. The driveway is a vital part of any home. It’s the very first feature of your home that guests will see, and it’s the most used entrance to your home. There are many different options homeowners have for the design and construction of the driveways that lead to their homes. Choosing how your driveway looks, the materials used for its construction, and what the maintenance is like are all considerations that will affect the final product.
While concrete and asphalt are the most common types of driveways, they lack the beauty, durability, and uniqueness of those designed with natural stone. If you are considering having a new driveway installed at your home, here are some things to think about.
Why Use Natural Stone for Your Driveway?
Using natural stone for landscaping features like driveways, will provide you with many long-lasting benefits:
- Durability – When you use natural stone, you don’t have to worry about cracking (like with cement) or softening (like with asphalt). Stone doesn’t crack, break, or blow away in the wind. It isn’t vulnerable to harsh weather or activity. Your stone driveway will be there, looking beautiful, for many years to come.
- Versatility – Using natural stone means that there are a variety of different looks that can be achieved for the driveway heading to your home. There are various types of stone with different colors, shapes, textures, and sizes that will work well for driveways – there is a lot of versatility, not just the boring gray that you’ll get with cement.
- Added Value – Landscaping, when done right, increases the overall value of your home and property. A stone driveway will immediately improve the look of your yard and likely add to what your home is worth.
- Eco-friendliness – Natural stone is a great option for homeowners who are environmentally aware. This stone hasn’t been processed using natural resources of energy and are sustainable and recyclable.
- Easy maintenance – A natural stone driveway will not require a lot of maintenance. In fact, in most cases, simply sweeping or hosing off debris is all you’ll need to do.
It’s hard to go wrong with a natural stone driveway, it has many advantages over other materials, and it will always provide a durable, one-of-a-kind aesthetic.
Asphalt vs. Natural Stone Driveway
Many driveways are constructed using asphalt. It’s a common, highly functional driveway material that’s fairly inexpensive. That fact alone – the cost – is often what makes homeowners and builders choose asphalt. However, there are some major drawbacks to asphalt that make a stone driveway worth investing a little more.
The installation process for an asphalt driveway is fairly involved and requires paving equipment. While the materials themselves may not be costly, paying a professional equipment operator may be. Asphalt also requires much more maintenance than natural stone, especially in extreme climates. In extreme heat, asphalt can become soft and malformed, while in cold temperatures, where freezing and thawing occurs repeatedly, it doesn’t hold up well either. It’s recommended that asphalt driveways be sealed within a year of its installation and then resealed every few years after that. You may halos have to patch problem areas periodically as well. This isn’t low-maintenance and it can be costly.
Lastly, an asphalt driveway’s lifespan is shorter that one made of stone. Asphalt typically lasts between 10 to 15 years, depending on the climate. Natural stone can last three to four times that long.
How Much Does a Stone Driveway Installation Cost?
A natural stone driveway creates a beautiful entrance to your property. Using natural stone is aesthetically pleasing, long-lasting, and it creates a sense of nature. While you are likely to find driveway materials that are less expensive than natural stone, you will also discover that natural stone driveways are have a longer lifespan, require far less maintenance (and therefore less expenses in the future), increased durability, and a uniqueness that is unmatched.
There are various factors that will impact the cost of a natural stone driveway. The size of the driveway and type of stone that is used are the two major factors. Of course, you also have to consider how complex the project is, and the type of ground where it will be installed. Overall, the investment that you make on a natural stone patio may be more at the outset, but you will find that it more than makes up for it in the long run.
Ambrose Landscapes – Stone Driveway Contractors in Asheville, NC
At Ambrose Landscapes, we can design and install the driveway that you have dreamed of. We have a team that has decades of stonework experience, which ensures that you will get the beautiful and unique driveway design and construction that you’ve envisioned. Perfect structure, functionality, and durability make the investment well worth it.
If you live in Western North Carolina, let Ambrose Landscapes help you create a memorable and inviting natural stone driveway for your home.