How to Hardscape a Patio around Asheville
Hardscaping a patio to your backyard is a great way to expand the living space of your home. Hardscaping is a term that refers to any of the non-living parts of a landscape, like walkways, walls, fire pits, driveways, steps, and of course, patios. Hardscape features are often designed to complement the softscaping, or vegetation, that is in the area.
Patios offer fun and comfortable places where you can entertain, relax, or simply enjoy the outdoors. When you have decided that you want to add a patio to your backyard, there are some important things to consider.
#1 – Work with a Hardscape Contractor
Designing and installing a patio is something that should be done by a professional. While there are many homeowners who decide to do it themselves, if you want the best results, find a contractor to do the installation. Not only will the actual work be better, but a hardscape contractor will know how to turn your vision into a design, will choose the most durable materials, will account for things like proper drainage and the right base materials, and will deal with the legalities like obtaining permits, if needed.
You can hire a contractor that will help you with the major decisions like what materials you want, what your budget is, and how to make your addition fit in with your home design and other landscaping. Hiring a contractor truly is the best way to go.
#2 – Know the Factors that Affect the Cost of a Patio
How much it costs to hardscape a patio varies widely depending on several factors. Knowing those factors will help you plan your budget for the addition to your yard.
- Size – The size of the patio is one of the biggest factors in determining the cost. Obviously, the larger your patio, the more it will cost for materials and installation.
- Materials – There are many types of materials that can be used to construct a backyard patio. While it’s important to know the cost of different materials, it’s also important to consider durability and maintenance of the material as well. It’s can be just as cost-effective to choose a more expensive material that doesn’t require very much maintenance and has a longer lifespan as it is to choose a less expensive material that will need to be repaired or replaced much sooner.
- Location – Where your patio will be installed is also an important factor. The ground and soil that will support the patio has to be prepared. That may mean that you will have more out-of-pocket expenses to prepare it properly.
- Complexity – The design of your patio, how intricate it is, will also affect the cost of the hardscape. If you want curves or complicated patterns, you should expect to pay more.
Benefits of Adding a Patio to Your Home
There are many benefits that come along with adding a patio to your home. Here are some of the major advantages:
- Increased property value. Adding a structure like a patio will make your home more valuable should you decide to sell.
- Aesthetically appealing. A new patio will make your yard more attractive. The design and materials you choose offer you’re the opportunity to make your patio as rustic or as modern looking as you want.
- Expanded living space. Your new patio will provide you with additional living space. Adding things like patio furniture, plants, and other hardscapes like a fireplace or fire pit will make it feel even more like an extension of your home.
- Place to gather and entertain. A patio is the perfect place to gather with friends and family for barbecues and parties.
Hardscaping a Patio with Ambrose Landscapes in North Carolina
When you work with Ambrose Landscapes for your backyard hardscaping, you can be sure that you will have beautiful and professional results. Our hardscape experts have decades of experience in the design and installation of hardscapes like patios, retaining walls, walkways, fireplaces, steps, and many other outdoor features. We are able to help you with the design of the perfect hardscape, one that is beautiful, durable, and functional. If you live in the Asheville area, we can hardscape the patio you are looking for – one with the durability to last and beauty that will never go out of style.