How Much Does a Stone Patio Cost?
Installing a patio offers a great extension to your living space and adds value and comfort to your home. Using natural stone for your patio enhances the beauty and landscaping of your home and yard even further, and it’s generally a maintenance-free addition. While a stone patio can be a major investment, including costs for design, materials, and labor, it’s an investment that will far exceed the amount you have to pay over time.
Factors That Affect the Cost of a Stone Patio
Estimating the cost of a stone patio installation begins with choosing the location and the size of the patio, which tend to have the greatest effect on the cost of the project. But those are not the only factors to consider. The type of stone you choose, the complexity of the design, and the type and quality of the area where your patio is to be installed also play big roles in how much you should plan to spend.
- Materials – Natural stone is available in many different shapes, sizes, textures, colors, and compositions. Depending on what you choose, how readily available it is, and the quantity the project requires, the cost could vary by a significant amount.
- Complexity of the Design – Another factor that affects the cost of a stone patio is how complex the design is. If there are intricacies to the design (like curves or complicated paving patterns) then you should expect to pay more. The extra cost is due to the increased amount of time the installation will take because of the intricacy involved.
- Type and Quality of the Location – Where your patio will be situated and what the ground and soil are like in that area can also play a big role in the cost of the installation. The soil that will be supporting the patio has to be prepared. If the subgrade isn’t prepared properly, the new patio could crack as it settles. While it may mean that you pay more out-of-pocket for the installation of your patio, ensuring that it’s being installed on firm ground that won’t wash away or shift is well worth the added expense.
Benefits of a Natural Stone Patio for Your Backyard
One of the very best material options for building a patio is natural stone. It is very much in-demand for many home hardscaping projects, including patios, and it’s easy to see why. Using natural stone for your patio and any other backyard structures offers the following benefits:
- Tremendous durability – Natural stone is very durable. It can stand up to harsh weather conditions, heavy foot traffic, and anything else that you might expose it to. It also ages well, with colors never fading, so your patio will maintain its beautiful appearance for years to come.
- Low maintenance – When you have a patio or other natural stone structures on your property, you will find that they require very little care and maintenance. Typically, natural stone patios require no more than an occasional cleaning, which can easily be done with a water hose and mild soap (if necessary), to remove any debris that has made its way onto the patio.
- Aesthetically pleasing appearance – Natural stone is a beautiful addition to any type of backyard. It is very versatile, as you have many sizes, shapes, textures, and colors to choose from. Whether you want your patio to have an elegant, but natural appearance, or a rustic outdoor look and feel, it can be accomplished using natural stone.
- Environmentally friendly – Of course, natural stone is all natural, so it doesn’t require many resources to produce. Other patio materials, like concrete, have an economic and environmental impact when manufactured. Natural stone is reusable and cost-effective.
- Functionality – Besides functioning as an entertainment area, your patio may help with stormwater management when it is designed and installed to do so. Talk with your designer to see how your stone patio can provide you and your home with all the benefits that effectively managed stormwater provides.
Using Natural Stone for Your Stone Patio
Patios built with natural stone add beauty, functionality, and a sense of nature to your property. A new stone patio provides you with ample entertaining areas for friends and family and it can be designed any way you choose, specific to the purpose you have in mind for it. Although adding a patio to your home can be a significant investment, there are many benefits that you will enjoy with your new outdoor living space. You’ll find that those benefits (durability, low maintenance, beauty and distinctiveness, eco-friendliness, and more) make the investment well worth it. Additionally, if the design of your patio allows for more efficient stormwater management, then your investment could be even more valuable.
Consider complementing your home and yard with a beautiful. natural stone patio. Ambrose Landscapes is happy to help you with the design and installation of the perfect patio – the one you have dreamed of – and that has the form and function you are looking for.