How Do You Hardscape a Yard in Western North Carolina?
When talking about landscaping, hardscaping is generally anything that is not vegetation. Hardscapes are man-made features or structures that may be constructed from manmade or natural elements. There are many different hardscapes that you will see in front of back yards. Decks, patios, walkways, driveways, fireplaces, walls, and steps are all examples of hardscapes.
Benefits of Hardscapes in Yards
There are various benefits that you’ll enjoy when you add hardscapes to your yard. Of course, the type of hardscape and the materials that are used are factors that affect those benefits. For example, you may add trellises to your backyard to highlight and heighten your garden, but that won’t likely increase the value of your home. Conversely, when you add hardscapes like a natural stone patio, it will increase your property value.
Keeping those factors in mind, here are some general benefits that come along with hardscaping:
- Hardscaping is low maintenance. Most hardscapes don’t require much to maintain them, especially when they are constructed from natural materials like stone.
- Hardscapes can conserve water. Hardscapes like patios can replace grassy areas can help reduce the amount of water around your property.
- Hardscapes can extend living space. Decks, patios, gazebos, and the like, increase the amount of living space you have, providing outdoor areas for activities and entertaining.
- Hardscapes help define areas of the yard. Patios define their space as an outdoor living area, while retaining or freestanding walls can divide the yard into other types of areas. This will help keep gardens or other areas with plants from being damaged.
- Hardscaping guides traffic. Walkways let visitors know where to walk, walls let people know which areas are off limits, and driveways let guests know where they can park.
- Hardscapes can provide privacy. Certain hardscape structures like walls and fences enhance the privacy of your yard and home.
- Hardscaping can increase property value. When hardscapes are designed and installed well, they can increase the overall value of your home.
Designing Hardscapes for the Yard
Now that you know some of the benefits of hardscaping, you have to consider your design choices. Of course, you will have your own sense of style and preferences that you should definitely convey to your designer. But there are some general considerations that you need to think about as you get underway to ensure that you have an attractive, cohesive, and unique design plan.
One of the first things to consider is creating the appropriate mix of hardscapes and softscapes. Your designer will help you with this, keeping in mind your specific needs, circumstances, and the layout and size of your yard. For example, small urban yards where a patio is installed will likely mean there is more hardscape than softscape. However, for large, sprawling yards, you may want walkways and other hardscapes in addition to a patio to provide a good mix.
You may want to incorporate a focal point into your hardscape design. This is a feature that is central to the area, that tends to capture the viewer’s gaze. Structures like gazebos often serve as focal points in yards, but you can also consider smaller hardscapes like a fireplace, fountain, or pond.
You’ll also want to decide what types of materials you want your hardscapes to be constructed with. There are various options including wood, cement, and natural stone. With natural stone, you are guaranteed to have unique hardscapes because stones come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. It’s also an option that provides durability, low maintenance, and a beautiful sense of nature to any type of yard.
Hiring Professional Hardscapers in Western North Carolina
Hardscaping a yard is an endeavor that comes with many options for design, materials, and installation. There isn’t necessarily a correct way to achieve hardscaping, but there are designs, materials, and construction methods that will make the overall effect both functional and attractive. That’s why you should enlist the help of professional hardscapers, like Ambrose Landscapes, to help you with hardscaping your yard. Expert designers will help promote a flowing transition from your home to your yard, while ensuring that the hardscapes function in the manner you want them to, and add resale value to your primary investment.
Contact us today for hardscaping in Western North Carolina.